(HELP)Plaining off problems

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys Im having trouble getting my 120 v4 looper to plane off. Ive recently rebuilt it and I have checked the timing with a timing light. It looks fine on the BTDC its 18 deg BTDC at WOT and thats where the book calls for. IT planes off ok every now and then but most times it want get out of the hole. It runs great after it gets going. can you help? After doing a complete rebuild I cant let this beat me. HELP !!!<br />Thanks <br />Hooked

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: (HELP)Plaining off problems

Is it a loss of power or is the prop not hookin' up?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

hookedonjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Hooty <br />Well this thing will get on out of the hole from time to time. Like yesterday it done fine when I left the landing but every time after that it just would not plane off. It seems to sound a little slugish when it want plane off. but once it gets going it runs great. could it be spark plug wires ? they are original but I wasent sure sence it runs good at times.It seems just as soon as I think I got it resolved it comes back. Originaly the timming was off from a prior adjustment I made. It all checks out with a timming light now.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Kinda sounds to me like you're loosing a cylinder. Next time it's strugglin' to come out of the hole, give the primer (choke) a real short, quick bump and see what the engine does. If everything is as it should be, it should choke down immediately. If the engine comes to life for just a second, you've got a carburetor problem. Give this a try and get back and tell us what happens.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br />Hooty