Points for 25BA76 N

Hey group, I bought a speedboat yesterday with a johnson 25BA76N (Serial number B 12565) the points on it had seized. The guy gave me a new set of points which i'm going to try to fit myself but I need the gap size and cant locate it. Thanks in anticipation. Marcus.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Points for 25BA76 N

Gap at .020", Marcus.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Hi J B and thanks for the reply.<br /><br />Do you have one of these beast motors?<br />I have been trying to source a manual for it in the uk for the last 3 days without luck, do you have one? if so any chance of e-mailing me the page regarding the points?. I'm not really sure what position i should have the whole top unit in to set them.<br />Many thanks<br />Marcus.<br />Marcusdencer@hotmail.com

JB

Sorry, Marcus. Copyright laws.<br /><br />It doesn't matter where your stator is. Set the gap when the cam follower is on the peak of the cam.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Sorry, Marcus. Copyright laws.<br /><br />It doesn't matter where your stator is. Set the gap when the cam follower is on the peak of the cam.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Hi again JB]Another question if i may. I have set the points and the engine is running fine when its in neutral, high revs and plenty of poke, however when i put it in gear it has no oomph at-all, it trundled along at 6 knots, should be doing around 20 methinks. someone said that it's probably the timing. Any ideas?<br />Thanks<br />Marcus

JB

That is one thing that can cause your engine to be way down on power, Marcus.<br /><br />Runnning on one cylinder is another, as is throttle linkage that doesn't open the butterfly all the way.<br /><br />I think you are at a point where you need a Service Manual.<br /><br />Confirm power from both cylinders by disabling each when at idle. No drop in rpm = no power from that cylinder.<br /><br />Confirm that the throttle linkage opens the butterfly completely.<br /><br />Set the linkage and synchronization of the throttle and stator by the book.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Thanks again, i have located a service manual which i am picking up tomorrow, I'll let you know the outcome.<br />Marcus