Motor Submergence, 74 Evinrude

Hi, I'm debating buying a boat with a 74 Evinrude (50hp, electromatic shift) the boat and motor are going for a steal, and the reason is this past spring during a flash flood the motor had been submerged. The guy selling it had his mechanic come right away and the mechanic, after removing the water, was able to get it running again. It''s still apparently acting strange as it often starts but loses power intermittently etc.. Is it salvagable at all. I'm inclined to think that given the fact that its actually starting now, then the damage from submergence can't be that bad. Is it worth the 7 hour drive to check out, or am I wasting my time. Thanks to anyone in advance.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Motor Submergence, 74 Evinrude

You could probably buy one in running condition for less than the cost of the gas you will burn on a 7 hour drive not counting tolls and wear & tear (both to you & your vehicle).<br /><br />I'm also real skeptical of when the guy selling something says - you know like when he says "All it needs is a tune-up - - ." Then the buyer come here with a tale of woe.

To add to the above, while I don't know the guy selling, he is a coworker of a friend (who assures me he's a good guy) Obviously you can never be sure about this sort of thing, but on the assumption there is no BS in his story and the motor's been submerged and does start now, if sporadically, any diagnoses out there?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

72 was the last year for the hydro-electric shift, the 74s were hydro-mechanical

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a 74 ... you better get it for almost free.<br />My boat sank last year .. I had to rewire the whole thing.<br />The gas is probably bad and the carbs full of crud.<br />You could be simply looking at alot of time... if the internals of the motor did not rust.

BillP

Captain

I wouldn't touch a motor that was submerged in fresh or saltwater unless planning on replacing 100% of the electricals, wire, components, etc. Here's what happened to a motor I had that was submerged in a storm. Water entered every crack and crevis in the electrical system and it was impossible to flush or clean contaminates from those areas. A year later corrosion happened and caused big headaches.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

fortunately the engine electricals were above the water (fresh) it was the rest of them that were hooped the t n t box was a mess but I deal with wiring and electricity every day<br />You are probably right about the magneto etc.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have a 1973 eletric shift 50 hp. on a 15 ft walkthrough windshield . bought it running for 600.00 . papasage

DHPMARINE

Captain

thomas,you have walls a lot closer than seven hours that you can bang your head against.<br />DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain

thomas,you have walls a lot closer than seven hours that you can bang your head against.<br />DHP

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

no such thing as a 1973 electric shift 50hp

G DANE

Commander

Through the time I bought 2 motors that was submerged without being run immediately afterwards. They both were parts motors, mainly giving lower units. Cranck- and rodbearings were rusted, pitted and shot on both. Only buy such a motor for parts - and I mean lower unit parts. Buying lower unit parts from an old hydroshift is something one will do only if you have a motor that needs it. He should give it to you for free, for a couple of bottles of wine, beer or so, thats my advise if you want to take the chance putting time and parts into it. Expect nothing and maybe get surprised.

Dan Beisel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a "friend" who submerged his motor last year in a lake. It was quickly recovered, flushed, rinsed, and dried out. I haven't had any problems with it since(other than a tore up impeller)....I mean my "friend" hasn't ;) <br /><br />At least the guy told you it was submerged...that's more than most would.

G DANE

Commander

Right: Quickly recovered, flushed, rinsed, dried out and run for at least half an hour, containing 15 min at near wot does the difference.<br /><br />Good luck, I am only trying to give you my best advice.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thank the maker that I fog the hell out of my boat before I leave the cottage. When I came up and found her bouncing off the botton last November (about 1/2 way up # 2 cylinder) I mixed gas at 20/1 fogged her again as soon as I got it running and drove it to the trailer. Haven't had a problem yet this year with the motor.<br />I believe without the fogging I'd have a piece of scrap metal.