Breaking in rebuilt motor

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
My '82 'rude 55hp just bit the dust the other day, cracked block.<br />So, I've got a fresh rebuilt '85 evinrude 50hp just out of the crate.<br />Suggestions for breaking it in for max durability?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Breaking in rebuilt motor

I can tell you how I break mine in but I didnt build yours. Ask the shop you bought it from. Follow what they say exactly. <br /><br />Proper break-in has a lot to do with the clearance set up in the motor. The guy you bought it from the is the guy who sets the clearance and is the guy with the warranty. <br /><br />Good luck!

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dhadley,<br />Thanks! That makes sense. Unfortunately, my situation is a little different. The man that rebuilt the motor retired and is no longer available (has had an excellent reputation throughout his career, though). I'm looking for any general guidelines regarding fuel/oil ration, rpms, etc for the first several hours of run time.<br />Any further advice is most welcome.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

In that case I would proceed as if the clearances are on the tight side, just to be safe. <br /><br />Install a new complete water pump kit. Clean the carbs. Champion plugs only. Fresh 87 fuel.<br /><br />I would let the motor idle for 4 hours. This can be done an hour at a time or all at once. On a hose or in the water. With the motor at idle it will warm up to the point the thermostats open and close as the motor cools down. Retorque the heads.<br /><br />This idle time can be done on a straight 50:1 mix. Either a mix in the oil or letting the oil pump do it for you (if equipped). <br /><br />Set the timing as per the manufacturer but retarded 1 to 2 degrees. <br /><br />Once you hit the water follow the manufacturers advice as if it were a new motor. Mark the oil tank level if so equipped. Add oil to double up (24:1).<br /><br />Retorque the heads at 5 hours and 10.<br /><br />At 10 hours you can start to back off the oil so that at 15 hours (not counting the idle time) its at 50:1.<br /><br />Recheck the timing and add the 1 to 2 degrees. Top rpm should be 5800 with an average load.<br /><br />The single most important thing is to find out what caused the motor to crack the block and make sure thats corrected. Basically, if I understand correctly, there is no warranty. We dont want the same thing happening to this motor as the last one.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dhadley,<br />Thanks for the good advice, just what I was looking for. BTW, the '82 is scrapped, this is a whole different motor from top to bottom.<br />Again, thanks for your time and advice.<br />Jim

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Youre very welcome. Let us know how you make out.<br /><br />Good luck and enjoy!