'77 140 hp won't start

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little background first. Motor ran great at any speed except idle and was a little hard starting so I removed the carbs and cleaned and rebuilt with carb kit. Linked and synced according to the OEM manual. Motor started pretty good and ran on muffs. Took it to the lake and started first time with little or no effort, idle was still a little rough - seemed to bit too low rpm's. I killed it and let it sit for a few minutes and tried to restart - wrong thing to do. It was difficult to start and when it finally did I could never get it in gear without it dying. It eventually got to a point where it never would start. Took it home and readjusted the carb and throttle (I messed with it a little at the lake in hopes of getting it started and didn't have the manual to know exactly what I was doing) While inspecting the wiring and ignition system I discovered that the rectifier had a wire broke off (red one)it was broken off right at the entrance to the rectifier so I couldn't reattach and see if that was the problem. Question - will the rectifier keep the motor from starting? Also, the manual states that the idle rpm (in gear) should be no more than 650 rpm's, what should the idle rpm be in neutral? Sorry for the long post- Any help would be appreciated!!

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '77 140 hp won't start

WOW, I guess I stumped the Masters. I would have figured someone could answer the couple of questions I had!<br />Maybe it's an Aggie thing.

angus63

Captain
Re: '77 140 hp won't start

When my rectifier died, only thing affected was tach and charging system. Motor still worked fine.<br />Your neutral rpm's should be set so when in the water and in gear, you have about 650 rpm. My v6 idles at about 675 and drops to about 625 in gear.<br />Find out what the red wire does (where it goes). You symptoms sound more fuel related to me than anything else.<br />Good Luck