Won't start cold

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys. I've got a 1971 50hp Johnson. This motor does not want to start cold. When it sits overnight it really doesn't want to start. After it runs and then sits awhile it's hard to start. If you shut it down and then re start it right away, it does fine. After it gets going it purrs right along no problems. Compression is 150 on both cylinders. Motor is getting plenty of fuel, I'm not flooding it. I don't have a spark tester, but unless it's getting spark intermittently, I would think it's ok. <br /><br />Any ideas what to look for. I can crank it like crazy without a sputter then all of a sudden I'll turn the key and it fires up instantly. I would appreciate any help.

DMT78

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Won't start cold

Hi, I just posted your exact problem with my 1978 Johnson. The response I got worked. When starting your motor turn key to on position, then push and hold the key in, to activate primer. Then while still holding the key in, turn the key to crank engine. I went from cranking for 5-10 minutes to first or second crank starts. Hope this helps.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Won't start cold

Some engines, when cold, need to be choked too the point where you're sure they're gonna flood. With the starter spinning the engine, try priming the<br />carb(s) with some premix from a spray bottle. I'd squirt fuel in 'em 'til it either started or flooded. If you then decide it's not a fuel problem, the next thing I'd look at is the ignition switch. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty<br /><br />Edit Post.<br />Yep, see DMT78's post.