carb spittin gas

BiggerD

Cadet
Hi my 1973 50hp Johnson is spitting gas on upper carb. Have spark to both plugs, have replaced powerpack, plugs, stator and trigger. Haven't rebuilt the carb in question as of yet. I have read that if the trigger is faulty it can cause the firing sequence to fire during exhaust stroke...any truth to this? As well any ideas as to this problem? All replies very much appreciated.....<br /><br /><br /> BiggerD

Walker

Captain
Re: carb spittin gas

Spitting gas out can be a symptom of a reed not closing on the piston down stroke

BiggerD

Cadet
Re: carb spittin gas

Update on spitting carb. Replaced gaskets and cleaned carbs. No more spitting! Took out for test drive and it immediately bogged and surged and stalled, started fine first off though. Restarted and tried again, it surged and slowed down then sped up and slowed then died again. This is while increasing throttle. Had my buddy along so had him squeeze the primer bulb while under way, went a bit better but still bogged and surged but did not stall, primer bulb remained firm all the while. Also replaced fuel pump with a used one to see if this would change it but no change. Is this meaning time for a new fuel pump and carb rebuilds? Any help much appreciated!<br /><br /> BiggerD