1990 200 hp johnson outboard

unclescary

Recruit
I have bought a stratos boat with a 200 hp johnson outboard motor, the problem is the engine idles fine as soon as you put in gear it dies, some times you can idle in gear, but you can not go any faster, the engine coughs and then dies. the fuel is new. and the engine was just serviced a week ago.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 200 hp johnson outboard

Welcome!!<br /><br />Was it OK before it was serviced?<br /><br />Has it sat for an extended period?

unclescary

Recruit

I was at the mech. shop and saw the motor running in the tank,at idle as well as in gear it sat in my driveway less than 5 days. They changed the water pump and the mech, said ther had been a small electrical problem, and was fixed.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like maybe the carbs might need a good cleaning. <br /><br />Is the airbox cover still on?

tony williams

Recruit

This may sound goofy but I had one that was "sucking air" from the fuel line past the pump ball it would work fine at full down trim but when I would start coming out of the hole it would die

unclescary

Recruit

Thanks everybody for your help! I removed the cowl removed the plugs, the are a champ ql77jc4 and they are oil soaked they seam to me to be a cold plug I live @ 4000 ft elevation and I can run hoter plugs in my cars should I change to hoter plug? thank you scary.

unclescary

Recruit

Thanks everybody for your help! I removed the cowl removed the plugs, the are a champ ql77jc4 and they are oil soaked they seam to me to be a cold plug I live @ 4000 ft elevation and I can run hoter plugs in my cars should I change to hoter plug? thank you scary. and yes the airbox cover is still on.