HELP Johnson 60HP Pro Series

kurgan

Recruit
Looking for advise we have a late 80's Tracker Johnson 60HP motor. Here is the problem end of the season last year while fishing a tournament it would start then die shortly after we took it to the boat dealer and they "SUPPOSEDLY FIXED IT" So we picked up and went on vacation of course when we got there same problem wouldnt start so we called and they had us take the cover off and turn the choke (red switch) and it would start .. we replaced the magnetic choke solanoid and now it starts and then after idling a little while sometimes it dies we thought the idle was set to low so we played with that today we were fishing a tourny and we have one tomarrow here is what its doing now.....<br />Start it....it idles 90% of the time it stays running however when you put it in gear it dies...start it again and it will idel put it in gear and it dies eventually we can get it to go...we took the cover off seems like there is a lot of fuel leaking out of the solanoid we replace when we start it once running the fuel quits leaking so basically im looking for advise other then pulling the plug and watching it sink...Once we get it to go it runs great...of course we put it on the earphones in the yard and it doesnt give us near as much trouble as when its in the water

rwise

Captain
Re: HELP Johnson 60HP Pro Series

kurgan<br />first, welcome to the board!<br />second, use the "edit post" and add the model number of your engine. Some who could help need that info to help them look it up, another may not need it. But it is always a good idea.<br />what is the compresion on all cylanders? <br />does it have good spark on all cylanders?<br />fuel leaking is never a good thing, sounds like a bit of carb trouble there.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Let me throw in a couple more cents worht kurgan.<br /><br />rwise is right on the money about leaking gas. Don't run the engien until you get this problem resolved. When a primer solenoid leaks, it's usually the "red lever". They do have a tendency to crack. Replacement is easy and John/Rude dealers usually carry them as regular stock. Another thing to look at, if you used the same red lever and head from the old solenoid, the head may be cracked from over tightening. Real easy to do. Check the little nipples the fuel lines connect to also. These can break real easy.<br /><br />As rwise suggested, do a compression check if for no other reason than to have the readings for future reference. <br /><br />Check the spark at each cylinder. Make sure each spark can jump a gap of at least 7/16" with a hot blue white thick spark<br /><br />With all that done, start checking over the fuel system. Look for fuel lines that have gotten hard from fuel and replace. You didn't post a year or model number so we don't know if your engine is equipped with VRO.<br /><br />Lastly, if it's been a while since the carbs were cleaned and overhauled, would be a good time to do this. Be sure to follow up with a sync and link.<br /><br />And lastly lastly, if you don't own one, get a manual. It'll make the work a lot easier.<br /> :)

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

might have some trash in one of the carbs, pull the silencer and pump the primer bulb see if fuel runs from one of the carb throats.

Freezebear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hope you don't have the same misfortune as me. I have a 92 60HP Tracker and it started doing the same things you say. I also had the primer lever leaking fuel. Replaced Lever and Head both. Ran fine for a few months then it started doing it again. Did a sync&link and it got better for a few months. Then one day it got so bad that I couldn't keep it running when I got back to the boat launch. Was real cute getting blown around like a bobber by other's prop wash trying to get to the dock with the trolling motor! :mad: <br />It would start if choked and then idle at a high idle and then start popping out the top carb right before it dies. Ran better on the muffs than in the water. After that I checked everthing from top to bottom and could not find anything wrong. Took her to the shop and they diagnosed a case leak in the GelSeal where the case goes together. They wanted $1500-2000 to repair it. Took it home and have removed the powerhead, split the case and resealed it, am waiting on my buddy to come help me install the powerhead so I can restart it today.