Prop for water skiing?

DH Zunic

Cadet
Hey guys, just wondering on an ideal prop for water skiing, I have a '91 Johnson 200 GT with a Renegade Bass prop, 13 1/2" x 25". This set-up is on a 21' Charger. If anyone could suggest an ideal prop for whole shot, that would be great! I'm new to the boat seen so any advice would be great!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop for water skiing?

Holeshot, a 14 1/2" x 15" ought to do it. Seriously, your boat with a 25" renegade sounds like it would be set up for top speed. The engine is likely mounted as high on the transom as the bolt holes allow. Making it a ski boat might not be as simple as changing props, as the props that are less high high performance require being deeper in the water. I guess you could try a lower pitch Rernegade or similar prop.

DH Zunic

Cadet

Thanks jimmbo, wouldn't a 15" pitch make the engine scream though? I think the max RPM is 5600rpm's.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I was being sarcastic at first so I edited and added to the post

DH Zunic

Cadet

I was wondering about that. The boat was set up for top speed, 72 mph. It does have a jack plate on it as well. I do have a considerable amount of adjustment in the trim as well. I wanted to play with the prop first and see the results with that. Thanks.