1968 85HP Johnson No Spark While Cranking

dgw80

Recruit
I'm having problems starting my 1968 85 horse Johnson V4. I pulled a spark plug and grounded it to check for spark. There is no spark while the starter is cranking, but as soon as I let the ignition off the start position, there are a few nice fat blue sparks. While trying to start, there is nothing while cranking, but as soon as I let off the key, the engine pops a few times or backfires.<br /><br />Any clues? I am fairly experienced with car engines, but a newbie to outboards. Thanks.

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1968 85HP Johnson No Spark While Cranking

that sounds like a faulty key switch to me, u could try switching on and rope starting, otherwise if you have a circuit diagram and feel u can interpret it, u could try feeding a temporary live to the ignition system and try cranking again. good luck. keep posting

dgw80

Recruit
Re: 1968 85HP Johnson No Spark While Cranking

Yeah, a bad switch crossed my mind too. I tried turning the key on, and jumpering from the hot to the start terminal on the solenoid to crank the starter, but no luck.<br /><br />I finally gave up and towed it to the local outboard shop for troubleshooting. Only they can't get to it for two weeks, so I won't be on the river this weekend. Oh well.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply.