Propeller Shaft Oil Shield Replacement

Namcali

Seaman
All,<br /><br />The lower unit of a 40HP, '62 Johnson is leaking from the shaft. I am thinking of replacing the oil shield. Do I need to disassemble the entire lower unit? the manual says I don't have to but it seems hard for me to fry out the oil shield. Has anyone done this before? any help is appreciate.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Nam

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Propeller Shaft Oil Shield Replacement

I'm going to assume that you have a manual shift gearcase here. Easiest way is to remove the gearcase, turn it upside down. Remove the bottom cap and you'll be able to remove the seal and it's holder without any more disassembly. The biggest challenge will be getting the shift arm pivot back in place, but with the gearcase upside down, it's not too bad. With it right side up, it's about impossible.

Namcali

Seaman
Re: Propeller Shaft Oil Shield Replacement

Willy,<br /><br />Thanks for the help, in reality, it's much more compliated that than. It's an electric shift. I disassembled the lower unit this morning; The unit is leaking pretty badly since I just drop in water (not running) and water comes in side the gear case. <br /><br />I am removing the bearing housing and will identify the parts I need to rebuild this unit.<br /><br />Thanks once again and I will keep you updated.<br /><br />Nam