'75 75hp "stinger"?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
16yr old son is looking for first boat :D <br />found a cheap tri-hull with a '75? OMC 75hp stinger<br />that has no spark according to owner for $600.<br />"assuming" seller diagnosed correctly, was hoping<br />some OMC guys could help with approx. cost on the<br />obvious parts like power pack, stator, etc.<br />he's been working/saving his $ and am trying to<br />help him going in what worst case scenario is.<br />what the heck is a "stinger"? never heard of it.<br />thanks in advance,<br />M.Y.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: '75 75hp "stinger"?

The "Stinger" is a 3 cylinder inline engine. On a 1975 engine, I would want the engine checked by a pro before making a purchase. Ignition could be one of many problems.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The "Stinger", as I was told, was used as a racing engine and runs at a higher RPM than a standard outboard. I recall they only came in a 15" shaft.<br /><br />I have an 1989 75HP "Stinger" on my center console boat, which has been converted to 20", with only 20 hours on it, since new.<br /><br />I have yet to try it out, as I am in the middle of remodling one of my houses to sell.<br /><br />I hope to take it out in the next month or 6 weeks. I will let you know what kind of RPM's it runs at, but I believe it is 6000 RPM's.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The blocks on the 1975 75 hp 15" Stingers had slightly different port timing. Actually it wasnt that it was different rather as close to OMC's published specs as possible. They were used in APBA's OPC stock classes for racing. The 1975 15" 75 hp was the only one like that.<br /><br />On the 20" motors "Stinger" represented a styling change. Basicaly graphics.<br /><br />All the 49 cid motors run best and live longest when set up and propped out at 5900 - 6000.<br /><br />Now there was a Mod 50. Thats a different story...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Cool! The bright orange "Mean Machine" Stingers were fun motors. I've got a 1980 Stinger 75 on my 15-foot Starcraft. It was explained to me that the porting of the Stinger (75hp) block was such that it allowed better top end but lacked a little in low-end grunt as compared to the 70hp. As Dhadley noted, most of the differences were cosmetic. You'll certainly get noticed with that thing on the transom...<br />- Scott

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

hey scott, how ya doin stranger? <br />did a 5 sec. walk around and didn't notice if was<br />short shaft... gonna have to take a 2nd look maybe.<br />$600 for boat, motor and trailer is alot of $ for<br />a 16yr old working part time at McD's and even<br />though I could bank him, I want him to do it on<br />his own...