89' Johnson 150hp VRO - no fuel

egalvtex79

Recruit
We were out boating on Saturday, ran slow for about 3 hrs, then ran for about 35min at about 3/4 wot, then back to idle. Engine died in no wake zone and would not restart. Primer bulb would not firm up. Engine seemed as though it was totally out of fuel. There was about 1/4 tank of gas left in built in tank. <br />If you pumped the primer bulb enough, engine would run in nuetral for 5-10 secs and then quit.<br />Any suggetions? Bad fuel line, bulb, pump??? :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89' Johnson 150hp VRO - no fuel

Sounds like the pickup tube is short within the tank. Add fuel to see if the problem is elsewhere.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Like Joe said, start with the simple things. Did it ever do this before? fuel gauge or sender could be off and misleading you into thinking you had plenty of gas. Happens all the time..

scampbell

Cadet

I have an '84 Evinrude 150, and have experienced the EXACT same problem. I ran it all day, and it died when I came into the no-wake zone. I began by replacing the bulb. Then, I thought I must have bad gas or bad fuel line. I completely drained the tank, and changed the fuel line. Bulb will only get hard if I hold it up high now. <br /><br />Before, I could get it to start by misting fuel mix directly into carbs. Now, I cannot get it to fire at all, but gas is running out of the overflow tubes. <br /><br />Let me know what you find out.<br /><br />By the way, my pick-up tube is fairly high off the bottom of my fuel tank. I probably pumped out between 4 & 5 gallons of gas that was below the tube.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Scampbell.... If you had to spray into the carbs previously to start the engine, the carburetors are fouled or the fuel primer solenoid is inoperative (or both). It would have been a good idea to have corrected that problem originally.<br /><br />Overflow tubes?? What overflow tubes?

scampbell

Cadet

Overflow tube - a small black rubber hose coming out of the top of the carbs and drains into the bottom of the engine housing.<br /><br />What do you mean by the carbs are "fouled"?<br /><br />Also, how can you tell if the primer selenoid is working?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

"fouled" means the carbs are gunked up inside and causing it to run bad, requiring a rebuild and cleaning of the carbs. You can check the primer by running the motor and hitting the primer button for a second or two. If it slows down the motor, it's working...