Recoil spring spring sliped into can

StillFishin'

Seaman
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an odd problem I'm having and why it has happened.<br /><br />The other day I went to start my 1976 15Hp Rude and the rope didn't retract after several pulls I took off the cowl and saw that the end of the recoil spring had gone into the can. I removed the whole starter mechinism and got the end out again and reinstalled it. After two gentle pulls(did't pull all the rope out), the end of the spring when in again. There is a small loop of the flat metal at the end of the spring and about an inch from the end a gentle doulbe kink in the spring. The spring is definetly not broke as the sping is now out of the can.<br />The odd thing about this is that it also happened about 2 years ago and hasn't happened since. It seems impossible for the end to slip through the slot.<br /> <br />Several things come to mind. One is that the rope is not long enough as on occasion I can tell I've reached the end of the rope. Anyone know how long the rope is suppose to be. I left my manual unnorth so I can't check<br /><br />Another is that the metal is not hardend enough to cause the end loop and double kink to bend. Or maybe the spring should be turned over so teh loop stops at the slot on the other side of the spring.Or maybe the slot in the can is wore.<br /><br />I'm problably going to take the whole thing to a dealer to see what he has to say but I thought I'd see what yout thoughts are. I hate to just put it back together without knowing what is the cause since nothing obvious is broke to me. Thanks for listening.<br /><br />StillFishin'

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recoil spring spring sliped into can

SF....rope length is 71 1/2". I've found that the new rope length is a little long. May have to trim an inch or so.<br /><br />The newer spring cups have reinforced slots. This helps keep the end of the spring from slipping into the cup.

StillFishin'

Seaman
Re: Recoil spring spring sliped into can

Thought I'd post to let you know what I found.<br /><br />I got a new spring after talking to a motor-head that knows his stuff. I alos got a and new rope.<br /><br />My old rope was about 12 inches short of 72". So I think what happened is that as the end of the pull, the spring was forced at the right angle bend into the opening of the cup. After many pulls, the right angle bend on the spring flattened out and then finally unrolled the rolled up end of the spring and into the cup it went.<br /><br />My new rope is 74" before installation or tying the knot on the end or putting it on the handle.<br />I have to wait until I take the wound up starter back un north to install it on the motor but I expect it will work fine and I will not come to the end of the rope.<br /><br />Thanks, OBJ for giving me the rope length.<br /><br />Stillfishin'