DIY Overhaul/Tune UP

grover777

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,<br /><br />I have a 1959 Johnson 50 Hp Super Seahorse. Needs to be tuned up. Has run well in the past, but now, hole shot is slow and starting is tough. I would love to learn how to take care of this motor myself, it seems that finding mechanics to work on vintage engines is becoming harder and harder. <br /><br />Any help, guidance would be appreciated.<br /><br />Daron <br />Mahomet, IL :cool:

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: DIY Overhaul/Tune UP

Before anyone else says it "get a good manual"!<br /><br />These 50s motors are pretty basic, servicing them is not rocket science, very few special tools are needed and all the service parts are easily available, and cheap too.<br /> <br />You've probably found, as I have, that the professional mechanics just don't want to know. They would rather sell you a new motor than bugger about with yours, and their minimum fee is probably more than the motor's worth anyway!

grover777

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice! Any suggestions who makes a good manual?? I think there are a few out there.<br /><br />Daron

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

My Seloc manual for '56-'70 1.5-40hp 2 strokes is very good, I'm sure they do one that covers your motor too.<br />It's an excellent manual for the DIY enthusiast, very clear and it doesn't assume that you know anything yet! I understand the OMC manuals are a bit more technical and assume you are rather more familiar with outboards.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For that level of work I recommend the OEM Manual, Grover.<br /><br />Try www.kencook.com.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Are the OEM manuals not aimed at those more familiar with working on outboards JB?<br />That's the impression I got from reading here, and from checking out a couple at my local marina, some of it looked pretty technical with little explanation of basic principles.

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

This is something you hopefully do not need but ... if you do , here is your chance .<br /> New block at ebay

grover777

Seaman Apprentice

Droll,<br /><br />Thanks for the ebay link. I am fortunate that things are not so bad as to need a new block!!<br /><br /><br />Yes, I am a novice, and would like the most "user friendly" manual out there.<br /><br />Daron