Is my water pump working???

gator8899

Recruit
I just got a 92 Johnson 60hp. I no nothing about it mechanically, so I'm starting to check it out. How can I tell if the water pump is working besides waiting to see if it overheats?<br /><br />Other motors I see them spiting out quite a bit of water right above the water line. This motor has a rubber hose that comes out of the top of the motor and it runs down and comes out at the rear part of the engine compartment. It has a stream of water coming out of it that is probably a little smaller than a pencil, so I know something is moving some water. Is this good enough our should water be coming out somewhere else?<br /><br />Does anybody know how many tubes of lower unit oil this motor will take? 1 or 2?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is my water pump working???

Don't know the answer to your question but if you just acquired the engine I would replace the water pump as a matter of course unless you had documentation that it was done in the last year.

ob

Admiral
Re: Is my water pump working???

That tell/tale hose is in fact the waterpump indicator.Whether the pump will supply sufficient flow or not is relative to the age of the pump and an educated visulal of the flow coulpled with a touch check of the engine block when engine is warm in several locations.Should be able to rest hand on for several seconds before the ouch factor.Not too accurate of a procedure IMO.This is best done by either using a 163 degree thermo melt stik or an infared heat gun.The T/stat is also an integral part of the cooling system that needs to be in good working order.Do you know when ,if ever the waterpump and T/stat have been changed?<br /><br /> The gearcase holds approx. 22 oz.of gear lube.Fill form bottom hole until it weeps from top vent hole to refill.