ID an old Seahorse HD 25 please.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
I've inherited a Seahorse HD 25 from the family collection. I need to identify year, HP, and anything else that might help me get her fixed up. Ser # is 554695. Thankyou very much.

alcan

Commander
Re: ID an old Seahorse HD 25 please.

Hi Calico<br />The HD25 was made from 1946-1950. Your motor was made in 1947. It is 2.5hp.,the mix is 24:1 or a half pint to the gal. Water coooled, 2stroke. It is the little brother to the td series 5hp models. It is my opinion that NOS ignition parts and other service parts for these models are hard to find and are spendy when you do. Fortuneatly there is tons of used stuff laying around, most can be had for a song. I rather doubt your coil is bad. It is possible but unlikely. My guess is, the problem is more likely the points. You will want to work carefully on this stuff so as not to break anything. If you remove the point sets you will see they are actuated by small bake-a-lite sticks. These stick rub/follow a cam ground on the end of the crank shaft. The sticks often become stuck. You will also need to clean the point contacts. Reset points to .020 and you should have plenty of spark. There are several articals in the archives on the TD and HD models, you might want to do a search.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks alot! I received the motor with the coil out of it (I have the part) but haven't checked it out for myself. I'll check points like you said after I clean up the outside of the motor. Thanks again, neat little motor!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A half pint per gallon is 16:1, CK.<br /><br />For the specified 24:1 fuel ratio, use about 5.3 to 5.5oz. oil per gallon.<br /><br />Good luck. :)