Been bothering you guys with a bad gas problem... Geeeezzz

Guvner

Seaman
Seems my boat ran fine in the yard but once I put gas into it on the way to the lake and even though it sat for another week before I actually took it out it was bad gas. Apparently dipping it on a launch ramp seems to bring it on and running it around on the lake with a different tank hooked up also keeps the water in the mix. (I changed tanks while it was running so well to be sure..) It killed it in about a minute. I can't believe I bought bad gas. I just think my brand new unvented at this point gas tank is condensing some moisture. <br /><br />Which brings me to the question. I have an alumininum gas tank I bought new last year. It has a threaded hole for a vent. Just no vent. I've always just left the cap loose when using it. What do I want to do for a vent? What is accepted construction for a vent?<br /><br />Is there anything I want to do to the tank once emptied for the moisture? I was just going to drain it and throw some heet in? <br /><br />Thanks... Gary

alcan

Commander
Re: Been bothering you guys with a bad gas problem... Geeeezzz

Hi Gary<br />There is a whole lot more involved in the proper instalation of a permanent fuel tank. Some of the issues deal with depenabilty (will it work) most deal with safety. If you will post your e-mail adress I will try and send you some info. I'm sure it is some what dated but at least it's a step in the right direction. I would suggest that you study up on this,at your public library. You might get info from the Coast Gaurd Aux. For the latest and greatest info. Drian the fuel tank, the water is in the bottom. Pump fuel from the top, use it in your lawn mower. when you start to get water, get out as much as you can. Pour in alcohol, slosh it around, empty what you can, let the rest evaporate. You will have a dry tank. Please do your home work it's not just your safety at stake.

Guvner

Seaman

I merely changed out a bad tank with another one and wired it the same. Sounds like there is more to it though. It is grounded and has a built in fuel sending unit. It is missing the venting I see on my other boat though. (blank threaded plug where it would go..) In fact I want to move it from where it's at in the back of the boat to the top of one of the extended pontoons behind the rail areas. (I already put the batteries back there on the other side.) It is an aluminum tank made for a boat in case I didn't make that clear. Seems safer than the plastic ones I see everywhere in the fact that it can be grounded. But it sounds like you know eons more than I do. I am leaving here now but will return later today...<br /><br />My email is garyk@findmall.com and my cell phone is 314-838-2222 if you have one of the ones with the excessive plans...<br /><br />Thanks... Gary

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Guvner<br /><br />If you moved it, just make sure it is secured to the deck as before. You did right by grounding it, if it's grounded to the filler nozzle and engine block also. You will need to get a fitting for a vent hose to go in the hole and vent it out the back panel.This is done using a vent fitting installed in the rear panel and running the vent hose to it. Use approved tubing and sizing for the vent hose. Mounting is important, venting is important and grounding is important. If you set it up just as it was before, you will have no problem, if vented and grounded properly. Alcan will set you up fine...

Guvner

Seaman

Alcan... The photo's you sent were only about 3 inches at full size and couldn't read them... <br /><br />Thanks... Guvner..