150 Johnson stalls in Reverse

dartman

Seaman Apprentice
What could cause the OB to stall in reverse, but not foward. Sometimes, if I'm very fast and lucky, I can quckly move the throttle to mid position and kept the OB from stalling. However, this is not practical or safe in most situations, and I'm worried this may damage the lower unit. Please help.

Raybo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 150 Johnson stalls in Reverse

What is the engine rpm's, when warmed up and in neutral? Maybe you should bump up the idle speed a little. Can get a little hairy coming into the ramp and engine cuts out.

tailfin10

Cadet
Re: 150 Johnson stalls in Reverse

dartman,<br /> may be the slightly increased back pressure<br />on the exhaust caused by backward movement is<br />changing things just enough to upset idle , also<br />if you have the upper exhaust ports and your low<br />in the water you may be forcing water into these also. Try trimming your motor up in reverse and see it that helps . Actually if you will mess with your trim while idling in neutral , forward , or reverse you can slightly change the<br /> way it idles . It may also be an indication your engine is not tuned perfectly.