1993 Evinrude 70 Idle/running problem

Walloon Whaler

Recruit
Our boat has been running fine all summer until now. As I was pulling into the dock at the marina it started stalling. The mechanic came out and started to adjust the carbs. The boat has not been able to idle or have a load put on it since.<br /><br />The issue is one mechanic tells me one thing and the other is telling me something different. <br /><br />The first mechanic who attempted to adjust the carbs says the motor needs a new power head. The compression numbers were all between 120-125. Yet the leak down test supposedly showed 45%, 60%, 50% (I did not see this test done). This does not make sense to me. <br /><br />The second mechanic checked the compression and concluded it is not a power head problem but a electrical problem (no leak down test was done). The compression was 120 on all cylinders. The bottom two cylinders are getting intermittent spark causing the motor to kick back and die. This mechanic is suggesting it is the CDI Ignition Module that has failed and needs to be replaced for about $250. <br /><br />Any advice is appreciated! THANKS

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Evinrude 70 Idle/running problem

whaler,if you have a manuel there are a few simple tests you can do to find your problem.if you dont have one get one they are a boaters bible!.get a good one it will pay for itself in one job.its not to hard to change out a powerpack at all.find one on line do the job yourself and youll save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$good luck!!!! <br /> ***1971 winner 1969 115 jonny***

ob

Admiral

Perform or have performed a spark test at cranking speed and insure that all three plug leads will jump a 7/16" to 1/2" gap with a crisp blue spark.This will let you know first hand if you are chasing an ignition issue.

Walloon Whaler

Recruit

We did that yesterday and YES all three had a crisp blue spark. <br /><br />After that we did another spark test (which I am not sure what it is called) there was a jumper between the plugs and the main wires which when running glow solid red. The bottom two cylinders were intermittent but the top was solid red.