a bunch of pins fell out of my engine block!?

reconotdor

Cadet
my motor siezed up (1963 Evinrude 10hp). I have done ALOT of work on it but never opened the block. I am having trouble finding another good motor in my area so I figured what am I going to do.....break it!? I took the block off and started taking it apart. I noticed rattling like somthing was loose in there, so I slowly turned the block over to see where the sound kept coming from and a bunch of pins fell out of the block! The good news is now the pistons move, the bad news is I don't know what those pins are for or where they came from. HELP<br />JT

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: a bunch of pins fell out of my engine block!?

They're most likely connecting rod bearings. Sounds like you threw a rod. Open up the crankcase to determine how battered it is in there.<br />They could also have come from a crankshaft bearing, but I think it's unlikely.<br /><br />Twin City Outboard <br />When you take the crankcase apart remove the tapered locating pins from the correct side. If you drive them in harder, it'll crack the crankcase.<br /><br />Hope it's not too bad!<br /> Nice 10hp webpage.

reconotdor

Cadet
Re: a bunch of pins fell out of my engine block!?

Dude that explosion page is PERFECT. That is my engine almost exactally! I will need it.<br />Thanks so much<br />JT