Still having problems

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I rebuilt the carbs this weekend. I took the boat to the river to test it and what do ya know, I had a new problem - dying at idle. I was so frustrated I wanted to kick a hole in the side of the boat. I held back the anger and waited until I passed the "No Wake Zone" to test for the original problem - hesitation at WOT.<br /><br />As soon as I saw the "Resume Normal" sign I opened her up, and to my astonishment, all was well. She climbed up to her normal hesitation point of 5500 RPM, and kept climbing. She hit 6400 RPM before I had to back her down for fear of a breakdown at that high of an RPM. I kept her steady at 6200 and still couldn't believe that I had actually fixed the problem.<br /><br />I was so happy that I decided to stop at "Rick's on the River" to have a celebratory brusky (or three). I didn't even mind that I had to float over to the dock without any power, bumping it a little hard, due to my new idling problem. Hell, I didn't even care that it started pouring down rain as soon as I left the dock at Rick's.<br /><br />I flew back to the ramp, and trailered my newly fixed engine back home and promptly logged into iboats to find what I knew had to be a quick fix to my idle problem.<br /><br />After some searching I posted a "will this work on my boat" question and then was promptly set on the right track by Joe Reeves. He suspected I had mixed up the Idle and Intermediate jets on the carbs, and the next day I proved him right. Sure enough, I found two of the four carbs with those two jets flip-flopped. I changed them around and bolted the air-cover back on and off to the water I went, the gulf this time.<br /><br />Got to the ramp, launched the boat and SHEZAM! My idle problem had disappeared. I was on fire, my head swelled up twice it's size. It was like Joe Reeves was the Mesiah and I was his loyal disciple converting bad engines to good with a few turns of a screwdriver.<br /><br />Then I opened her up and guess what, the old problem was back - hesitation at WOT! Why hast thou forsaken me?!!<br /><br />Anyways, back to square one. I am going to take her back to the river this weekend and test her out. <br /><br />I have a few suspects for this problem. Being on rougher water I thought maybe some trash in the tank clogged up the pickup, I will try a separate tank this weekend. <br /><br />Also, when I was at the river I did not have the air cover on tight, and I left the bottom bolt out for fear of busting another primer hose (see previous posts), but after swapping the jets I bolted the air cover on tight including the bottom bolt, maybe a hose was restricted. I will try it with the cover loose.<br /><br />Lastly, two of the carbs are leaking slightly at the top of the bowls, I heard that the plastic carbs have this problem, so I may try sanding down the bowls, or replacing them. Does anyone know if this could cause my problem?<br /><br />Sorry for such a long post but I just needed to vent - which reminds me, that's another thing I will check - the tank vent. :D <br /><br />Thanks for listening.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Still having problems

Hi, Rboat.<br /><br />It is very unlikely that readers will go searching for your previous posts to get an idea what engine you have or what problems you had.<br /><br />You are not likely to get help without that information.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Still having problems

"Also, when I was at the river I did not have the air cover on tight, and I left the bottom bolt out for fear of busting another primer hose (see previous posts), but after swapping the jets I bolted the air cover on tight including the bottom bolt, maybe a hose was restricted. I will try it with the cover loose."<br /><br />OK, so in the above paragraph I am referring to the Hesitation at WOT, when I pulled the air cover I found a primer hose busted, I reconnected the hose and put the cover back on and everything got worse, I couldn't get the boat to go higher than 4000 RPMs. I bought rebuild kits for the carbs and when I pulled the cover off I found the same hose busted and I had busted a second primer hoses (damn cover). During the carb rebuild I bought more primer hose and replaced these hoses and re-routed them so they would not get busted again.<br /><br />Thanks JB.