Changed gasket, still water in #1

Brian Hall

Seaman Apprentice
I have had water coming into piston #1 since I did a decarb a few months ago. I haven't run the engine since I found this out and finally got the new gaskets in last week since everyone I talke to said that it should be a head gasket if the water was just getting to one cylinder.<br /><br />This is a 1973, 85 horse evinrude, by the way.<br /><br />I just got done replacing that gasket and I still have water coming into that cylinder only.<br /><br />Where else should I be looking?<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Brian

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Changed gasket, still water in #1

Did you do a compression check? Readings?<br /><br />There was a post on that not long ago. There was a couple of respones suggesting something under the exhaust manifold was bad allowing water to get in that way. Sorry don't remember more.

Brian Hall

Seaman Apprentice

I did a compression check before I changed the gasket and that hole was a little lower than the rest. <br /><br />All the responses said to change the head gasket.<br /><br />I will re check the comp. and let you know.

emckelvy

Commander

Did you have the head surfaced or checked to ensure flatness? I've seen quite a few leaky head gaskets that not only required gasket replacement but milling the head due to warpage. If the head's warped, it'll leak regardless of gasket condition.<br /><br />You may need to pull the head again and check it out. If it's not too bad, you could lap it in with wet/dry paper on a thick piece of glass. Or send it off to your friendly local machinist for planing.<br /><br />The other possibility would be leaking exhaust manifold plate/gasket, typically you'd see it in more than one cyl but if you had a small, localized leak it could show up in only one.<br /><br />I'd carefully inspect the head and straighten as necessary before tearing into the exhaust.<br /><br />HTH.......ed

Brian Hall

Seaman Apprentice

I also remember seeing something about using a sealer on these gaskets. It says not to use sealer on the gasket but I thought I remembered something about one kind that would work.<br /><br />Thanks,

HarryHydro

Cadet

Hi txduckster:<br /> I just had a similar problem on my exhaust manifold. See pic: http://harryhydro.com/ex_manifold.jpg <br />I had to bake the manifold itself to get it apart without prying it with anything. 265 degrees did it in a half hour. It probably didn't need to be that hot. You can see the lower cylinder's exhaust port runs upward, so water would puddle there. Good Luck!<br />Harry