Getting Johnson 150 Underway

envy83

Seaman
I am upgrading the hp on my boat and have a 1987 Johnson 150 I'm putting on. Assuming no catastrophic problems with the motor what should I check, flush, fill, replace etc. so that the motor lasts and I don't get any unpleasant suprises on the water?<br /><br />All suggestions appreciated.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Getting Johnson 150 Underway

Has the motor been stored for any length of time? How's the current compression? If you've run it recently and all is in working order, just stick to the basics. Fresh fuel with the proper mix (unless yours in oil injected) and a good water seperating fuel filter. Check and change the lower unit lube at least once per season, with new gaskets on vent/fill screws. If you don't know the age of the impeller, replace it. Most important is to buy a manual and learn anything more specific to your application. Preventive maintenance is the key to getting more smiles than swear words out of a boat. :D

envy83

Seaman

Thanks, I just bought the motor and it hasn't been used to terribly recently. The guy I bought it from said he "fogged" the engine before he shipped it, anything special I should do to remove that extra oil, or just burn it out? (It's a 2-stroke, and a little old for EFI)

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Hopefully the carbs are clean. The can get gummy after storage if not 'winterized' properly. I assume since the seller fogged it, it was running not too long ago. Go ahead and run it to clear out the storage oil. I would check the plugs after you run it up to temp the first time to make sure the fogging oil didn't foul them at all. Yours must be a premix motor (non-VRO oil injection) so mix up a batch of 50:1 and let 'er rip. Good luck, and have fun.