WHEN SHIFTER IS ALL THE WAY DOWN

leafs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I HAVE A 1976 JOHNSON 70 HP STINGER MOTOR <br />IT GOES GOOD BUT WHEN I PUT THE SHIFTER ALL THE WAY DOWN IT BOGGS DOWN A LITTLE,SO I BACK IT OFF A LITTLE AND IT RECOVERS,WHAT WOULD NEED SETTING,MAYBE IF I CAN PUT THE SHIFTER ALL THE WAY DOWN I WILL GET A LITTLE MORE SPEED OUT OF IT.(I JUST HAVE 1 LEVER)

ob

Admiral
Re: WHEN SHIFTER IS ALL THE WAY DOWN

May be that your carbs are fouled and need a good cleaning.Before doing that check a couple of things.Remove the intake cover from the front of the carbs and shift controls into gear (engine off) and advance all the way to full throttle position.You'll need to spin the prop while shifting out of neutral.Observe whether the carburetor flaps overshoot the straight horzontal position.They should just advance to full horizontal ,but not beyond.Also insure that the flaps are not falling short of full horizontal.<br /><br />Another possibility is that your wot timing may be off.Either advancing too far or sticking before traveling all the way to its stop.While stroking the throttle lever ,make sure that the timer base moves freely all the way to the stop screw.

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WHEN SHIFTER IS ALL THE WAY DOWN

Ur fuel pump may not be delivering enough fuel at full throttle. test this on the water by squeezing primer bulb with shifter all the way down.