H E L P !!! 85 HP JOHNSON

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice
JUST PICKED UP A 1079 85 HP JPHNSON AND PUT IT ON MY 15FT TRI HULL USE TO HAVE A 60 ON IT THAT DID ABOUT 25 MPH<br /><br />SO I FUGURED THIS WILL BE GREAT THE GUY I GOT IT FROM SAID HE SPENT $600 HAD IT ALL TUNED UP SI I FIGURED I WAS GOOD TO GO <br /><br />PUT THE MOTOR ON DROPPED IT IN THE WATER AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED <br /><br />1) WOULD ONLY DO ABOUT 17 MPH<br />2) BURNNED THRU A 6 GALLON TANK OF GAS IN ABOUT 15 20 MINS<br />WHEN I RAN OUT OF GAS WHEN I RE STARTED IT ALL THE TEETH ON THE STARTER BLEW OFF SO I WAS OUT ON THE LAKE WITH OUT A PADDLE ( BAD MISTAKE I KNOW) <br /><br />A BUDDY OF MINE SAID A DIFFRENT PITCH PROP MIGHT DO IT HE KNEW OF A GUY THAT COULD ONLY DP 12 AND WANTS HE GOT A DIFFRENT PITCH PROP HE WAS DOING 45 MPH THATS KIND OF HARD TO BELEIVE <br /><br />SO DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON WHAT I CAN DO <br />PLEASE!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: H E L P !!! 85 HP JOHNSON

What prop do you have on it, Ppjmb?<br /><br />Sounds to me like it is running on 2-3 cylinders.<br /><br />1. Lose the caps lock key. Caps are considered SHOUTING.<br />2. Check spark on all cylinders.<br />3. What happens if you choke it?<br />4. What happens if you squeeze the primer bulb?<br />5. Squirt some premix into each carb throat and see if it picks up.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

ppjmb5

Seaman Apprentice

sorry about the caps ,i have a 13 3/4 12 pitch on it now i also have 15 pitch didnt try<br />can the pitch really make that much of a diffrence?<br />ill check spark i checked the ball on fuel line when i was running a sqeezed it it was hard <br />it did bogg down on me once out there i choked it and it picked back up but not where it should be

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

take the silencer off and start it check for fuel leaks, once it warms up a little take your hand and put it over one carb at a time if its darn near dies at each carp you are firing on the cyls the carb goes to, while you have it idleing pump the primer bulb if it slows or dies when you do it's a needle and seat problem, pull the plug wires see what kind of spark you are getting should be blue and jump 3/8 to 1/2 inch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Duplicate post.