Am I greasing the right spot?

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,<br /><br />1976 20' proline, 1983 200hp johnson. MY steering is very rough. I have two grease fittings on my tilt tube as I think it is called. Are those for steering or for the tilt/trim? If the are, do you know where the correct fitting MIGHT be, and what lubricant is best to use. I may juts pull the whole steering line off anyways, but looking for a short term fix.<br /><br />Thanks, Scott

Walker

Captain
Re: Am I greasing the right spot?

Those grease zirks only grease the tilt tube. There is no way to grease you steering cable itself. Unhook your steering cable shaft from the motor arm and see if you steering wheel frees up. If so then unscrew the big nut on the steering cable where it goes into the tilt tube. Pull the steering cable uot of the motor and clean the inside of the tilt tube real good. I use a 12ga. shotgun cleaning brush on a section of cleaning rod chucked up in my drill and apply copious amounts of penetrating iol while I ream out the tube. Some boat/motor setups require that you lift the motor off the boat to have clearance to pull the steering cable out of the motor

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Scott......the grease fittings are only for the area aroung the tilt tube that pivots. They don't go all the way in to the steering ram. There is no grease fitting for the steering ram that goes through the tilt tube. They only way to clean the steering ram and tilt tube is to pull the steering cable out and clean the tube and ram. No short term fix. Do it right the first time and enjoy boating.

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Walker! My only problem with removing the steering cable is it wont spin, as I think it is all connected to the cable (the nuts I mean)but I will check that out. I am working all night and will check in the morning.<br /><br />At least my tilt/trim should be wicked greased, been greasing the **** out of it.<br /><br />Thanks again!

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks OBJ! I will do just that.