starting problem for rude 75

lahiggs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My motor is a 1976 Evinrude 75. Its hard to get going, seems like its starving for fuel or getting too much and flooding on takeoff. I have to feather the throttle for a bit and then hit WOT and it takes off. Once it runs for awhile and then sits for an hour or so, its impossible to get it going again. I have replaced all fuel lines in the motor, a new tank to motor line and bulb, new fuel tanks, and soaked and rebuilt the carbs. Any suggestions? Thanks...

lahiggs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: starting problem for rude 75

any help would be greatly appreciated. i have no clue what could be causing this..

bubbakat

Captain

When you rebuilt the carbs did you replace the needle and seats under the floats?<br />Did you soak them or use the spray can?<br />I had one on my 85 h/p same year I had to do twice.<br /><br />here is a link on the procedure for cleaning them. This is not the carbs you have but cleaning procedure is the same.<br />You also need to do a sync and link<br /> http://www.frontiernet.net/~bob_aloo/Carbclean/CarbClean.htm

lahiggs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The rebuild kits I bought didn't come with a new seat, just gaskets and needle. I soaked each carb twice, rinsed thoroughly with water then blew them out good with an ait hose. Originally, I soaked them and the motor ran fine for a day then started running poorly again. Thats when I decided to rebuild. It ran great for probably 10 boat rides, then this. I don't know. Does it sound like a fuel problem? Could I be getting an air leak somewhere? Thanks.<br />How do I sync them?

lahiggs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I pulled the plugs and they were soaking wet, could the plugs be the problem? What kind of plugs are recommended for this motor? It has AutoLites, I'm guessing it should have Champions.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you cleaned the carbs and performance improved then dropped off - then rebuilt the carbs and it ran great for 10 rides and performance dropped off again I'd guess that you still have crud in the carbs somewhere. Did you pull out the little freeze plug like things when you did the rebuild?

lahiggs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I could pull the carbs again and try to clean them again. I am forced to work on it in the water now and thats no fun. My local boat ramp is closed for the week for Riverfest and fireworks and all that. What plugs should I pick up for it? I have heard alot of people here use Champions. I don't know what part # on those though. Any help there?<br />Edit: Thanks for all the help so far. I probably wouldn't even have the boat running at all if it wasn't for this BB.