Year and Equivalent?

derekv

Cadet
I have just aquired a 25Hp Elto The model # is 22D11E and I was wondering What year it was, Pictures I have found suggest it is about a 1957 but I would like to be sure. Also if I order parts what is its evinrude equivalent. Any info would be great thanks.

alcan

Commander
Re: Year and Equivalent?

You have a 1956 25hp model. This model was produce by OMC's Gale div. Service parts will be the same as for other 25hp Johnson/Evinrude of the era.

derekv

Cadet

Hey Thanks Guys, Thats great it means its easy to find parts for.

derekv

Cadet

One More Question, What is the max RPM for my Elto. I will most likely need to reprop the motor as it is going on a small hydroplane and I understand that the RPM droppes about 400 or so with every 1" increase in prop pitch. I have already invested in a Tiny Tach but need to know the redline of the engine.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I've got a WOT of 4000 RPMS for that engine, which I assume would indicate a range of 3500-4500 RPMS. For what it's worth, the later 28hp which is based on the same 35.7CID block has a range of 4000-5000 RPMS (defined as 28hp@4500RPMS), but it has needle bearings on both ends of the connecting rods, and a few other advancements.<br />What your putting together sounds like my idea of fun! :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Elto25,<br /> I run a 1956 Johnson 30hp on an old utility racer and use a 15-inch Michigan 2-blade bronze prop. They turn up on eBay quite frequently and often fairly cheap. You'll also need the jack the tar out of the motor - we run ours at almost 19-inches measured vertically. Don't worry - it'll pump plenty of water, as the prop will throw a steady stream into the water intake in the leading edge of the exhaust outlet.<br /> One suggestion I would make would be to strap the exhaust housing to the steering tube of the clamp bracket assembly. We tore up three sets of rubber shock mounts on our motor before we got smart. The straps (long, stainless hose clamps) will prevent the motor from bouncing around quite so much, but still allow freedom of movement for steering. Also make sure the motor is tied down to the transom of the boat to prevent it from tilting up on deceleration.<br /> Make sure you have a spring return of some sort on the throttle, and hook up a tether kill switch to both set of points so that they ground out through each other when the switch is pulled.<br /> We get about 35mph out of our rig - plenty fast for an old 30hp in stock trim...<br />- Scott

derekv

Cadet

Wow You guys are quick with responces. Thanks for all the info. I hope to be doing some test runs in the next couple of weeks so I will keep my eye out for a prop off e-bay. Thanks again.<br /><br />PS. good Quote Chinewalker, I'm going to see the hip in two days.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Elto25,<br /> As a state-side Hip Fan, I see them whenever I can - which has been three times so far... I'm not too far from their hometown, Kingston, ONT....<br /> As for the revs - if you're using a stock aluminum 3-blade, keep the revs under 5500. Find the tallest (highest pitch) prop you can find for now. Those big bore, long stroke motors can toss a rod through the block if they're over-revved. They are rated at 4500 RPM, but I've found that they can handle about 1000 over that without too much trouble.<br />- Scott

Paul Moir

Admiral

Thanks for the race notes Chinewalker. I've got my pen and pad out. :)