1979 johnson 20 hp starter /selonoid

kidwalleye

Recruit
i have a johnson 20 hp ,model # 20cr79r, i have just bought a starter and a selonoid for it,{did not have one before}. i need a wire diagram or some help if someone could, i have a positive wire running from starter to one side of selonoid, i assume i run the positive off the battery to the other side of selonoid.then i would guess the negetive from battery runs to the block of engine? there are two posts/bolts{smaller}on top of selonoid. Are these for starter switch? how do i wire that switch? and does the motor have a wire for recharging battery

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 johnson 20 hp starter /selonoid

Hey kid....drop an email to me at outboardjim@comcast.net and I'll send you drawing to help you get it right. Save a lot of typing to.... :) <br /><br />And a big welcome to iboats to ya'!!

kidwalleye

Recruit

thanks obj, i got it working this morning life is good

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK Kid.....need help....hollar. :)

cocofish

Recruit

I am looking for a copy of a Johnson 20CR79R Service manual to buy?

The folks at kencook.com said "I'm sorry, but we have nothing that matches the model you provided. Did your model number come directly off of the engine? Is it possible that the model number could be something different?"

Can anyone please assist?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nothing matches that number. this thread is 4 years old. start a new thread, recheck the model # , sometimes they are easier to read, at dust, with a flashlight.