1992 Johnson 200hp Compression results

winfieldh

Seaman
Hello,<br />I am looking at a 1992 Johnson 200hp. The compression tests came back 82-86 on all 6. The mechanic referred to this as a loop motor and that the comp readings for loop motors are normally in this range. I would love some input because all the messages I've read tell me this is not good, but there is no mention of 'loop motor' so I've got no comparisons.<br />Thanks in advance.<br />Winfield

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Johnson 200hp Compression results

Static readings vary from gauge to gauge. A lot depends on what heads are on the motor are far as actual numbers go. If the motor was cold (dry) that has an effect too. <br /><br />The OE manual calls for the numbers to be no more than 15 lbs different. You are getting good numbers although a decarb job may increase the numbers slightly.<br /><br />Yes, this is a 90 degree, open deck looper. Post the model number just to make sure of the year.<br /><br />Good luck!

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1992 Johnson 200hp Compression results

That sounds a little low. My J225 is at 90 with a 3 year old powerhead. The last owner was told it was "Too Low" and needed a rebuild. Got it for a good price and turns 5800 on my 23' Trophy. Go figure!