help some thing wrong

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
i replaced the points on my 66 40 hp rude and now she dont want to go revs up fin but when in gear does not want to move very fast points area gapped at .020

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: help some thing wrong

sounds like either is not running strongly on both cylinders or a fuel problem?<br />when were your carbs cleaned?

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

it ran fine before i replaced the pionts was told if they have not been done i should do them so i did and now runs poorly

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Russ<br /><br />Something is not right with the points install if that is the problem. Make sure the points are right on .020 setting and directly lined up with each other and parallel with each other. Flywheel torqued right? Check the wiring at the points. This does not make sense. It should run better than it did before.. If nessesary, install the old ones and see if your performance returns..

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

i checked the pionts one was off a little got it to start but it spits and spudders now i dont know if i messed the timming up ? did not touch nothing else but the fly wheel removal and the points runs very rough with the choke on and will only stay running with it half way if i take it off she dies right out

rwise

Captain

Russ<br />I have agree with Rick on this, if it ran fine before it should run at least that good now. Make certain the wires are not grounding anywhere in the circut, maybe put the old points back in.<br />Richard

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok i took it back out and it did the same thing rpms would go up in rev and neu. but in frw not as high but will go faster in rev then in frw i cheacked the pionts agian and they are the same .020 cheacked the gap in the spark plugs and they are .030 i dont know what else to check

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you mean the wires grounded on the circut? how do i test that i have the manual would that tell me and do i have to have it running ?

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

and now when i turn the key off it stays running ?<br />i got my self in some trouble

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ok, if it's running when you have the keyswitch in the off position (or while pressing the kill switch) then one of the two leads that go from the points connection to outside of the armature plate (through the bottom) is not connected. The wiring for the points is extremely simple - 1 wire from the condensor, one from the ignition coil and one kill switch wire all connect to the terminal on the point. Other side is the same thing.<br />How's your spark on each plug? Exactly how far will it jump? If the points are not adjusted to open .020" max then spark will be weak. How did the ignition coils look?<br />PS - never ever rev your engine in neutral.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you for the help i fixed the problem for now till the next thing