Generic (or maybe OMC) keyswitch as part of boat wiring package?

I have a 1980 Sea Nymph boat with a 1989 Merc 70hp. The wires in the harness going to the switch are Yellow/red stripe, Purple(3 hitched together) Black (2 hitched together)and 2 others (one may be B/w) Red/blue stripe. Solid red. Purple/white stripe.<br /><br />The switch is labled. I--S--AM--B--M with a central lug labled C which I assume is for the push in choke.<br /><br />I've been beating my head against the wall for 3 days looking at every Mercury wiring diagram in town and on the net.<br /><br />Does it sould like I have a boat rigged with a proprietary harness that can be used for Mercs and OMC?<br /><br />Can anybody tell me which wire goes where?<br /><br />The engine has 19 hours and is perfectly clean.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Generic (or maybe OMC) keyswitch as part of boat wiring package?

Well, les see if we can figger it out.<br />B=Battery so connect the purple and red wire to it.<br />S=Start so connect the yellow and red wire to it.<br /><br />M&AM= Are ground wire and kill terminals. The two black wires are grounds so connect them to either the "M" or "AM" terminal. The B/w is probably black and yellow so connect it to the other terminal by itself.<br />I=Ignition. This terminal is hot when the switch is "on" so connect the purple wires to it. <br /><br />Red=Not sure. It should be unfused 12VDC. You'll have to trace it out.<br /><br />C=I'm like you, I figure that's the choke so trace the purple and white wire back to the primer (choke) and see if that ain't it. Pretty sure it is though.<br /><br />The red and blue wire, I don' know. You'll have to trace it back or maybe somebody else here can help with it. Keep us posted and let us know if ya need more help.<br /><br />G'luck & c/6<br />Hooty

I realized today that the yellow/red stripe does not go to the switch.<br /><br />The wiring diagram does not show the switch but states.<br /><br />Red/blue--Key switch<br />Black White--key switch<br />3 blacks--key switch<br />purple/white key switch<br />Purple--Key switch<br />Red--key switch.<br /><br />I cannot find a red wire. Should I run one from the fuse pannel or from the hot lug at the fuse pannel?<br /><br />With the yellow/red attached to the key switch, the engine would turn over but not fire. All accessories are working and tilt/trim works.

If I go with the 3-pole ig switch, how do I handle accessories and power trim?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm not sure what you're saying. The yellow wire with the red stripe goes from the "S" on the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. I thought I pretty well explained the rest of them.<br />Was there a problem?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

I Probably didn't explain it right. I have a list of wires that go to the switch. According to the list, the yellow/red stripe does NOT go to the key switch at all but there is supposed to be a red wire that does.

Warm_Paw

Recruit

On 70 Horse Evinrude I have figured out most of the wiring for the switch. Have the proper SELOC manual but in my case the wiring diagram has wire colors that do not exist on my engine. The diagram loses credibility. Seloc manual not professionally written (opinion).
Back to switch:
Two black wires ganged on one M terminal. One is ground for the solenoid on electric start, the other may be ground at the coils - need to verify. M stands for Magneto , probably magneto ground. Black Yellow wire is on other M terminal (my switch has two M's).
The Black Yellow is killswitch grounding power pack when ignition is turned off.
Purple white wire is C (Choke). Double purples ganged goes to A - accessories. These purples are coming from the HOT Horn. Engine is hot, horn sounds. Yellow Red is neutral Safety Switch. Is attached to solenoid at electric start - throught a push switch and then hooks on to S terminal in switch. S= Start. My manual calls for hooking it up to A = accessories. Both must just be power terminals because works either way. Have learned from techie that S is true terminal.
I have Red Purple which goes to B (Battery)
I have a Purple Ignition wire which I have attached to choke do to my lousy SELOC manual. C is power so it works, am looking to find true terminal for ignition wire.