40 hp Johnson will not raise or lower manually

sandman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would greatly appreciate help. I have a 1990 Johnson on a pontoon boat. No tilt and trim. I have always raised and lowered it manually with no problem. There is a locking and release lever on the right side of the mount (facing the motor from the rear) that allows me to release to raise and lower and then locks it into place. It is not in gear. The lever moves freely, but the motor is stuck in place and will not allow me to raise or lower the motor. As I said there is no tilt and trim (unfortuantely) and this has always worked. I am trying to get it into the water and would like to find the cause and repair prior to dropping this boat in the water as it is very difficult to trailer. I would appreciate any suggestions and boy would pictures be great! :D <br />Thank you for your teriffic help. This is a wonderful site.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 40 hp Johnson will not raise or lower manually

Hi, Sandman.<br /><br />Your reverse lock may be stuck. This is normally engaged by going into reverse and released when you return to neutral.<br /><br />Watch this while shifting in and out of reverse.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sandman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks JB, if this is the case, any suggestions on how to get it to release? I know it is not in reverse. As always, thanks for your help.

Walker

Captain

If its a hydraulic assist unit one of the cheap little plastic connectors on the cable is probably broken. Got to get in there with some pliers and grab the cable and pull it hard to release the unit. Its not easily done.

sandman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you give me any idea what it looks like and where I would locate the reverse lock pin or the plastic connectors? It does have an assist cylinder of some type.<br />Again, thank you.

sandman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way, I tried the service manual for this motor and there is nothing relating to this problem, nor any information on where the parts are you are mentioning. Any help would be appreciated.

sandman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The manual I am using is the factory service manual and there is nothing in there about the lift or hydraulic assist cylinder. Are there any other manuals or on line assistance where I can get directions?

Walker

Captain

The plastic connectors, the one most likely cracked is located on the working side of your Tilt/Lock lever. Look up in there between the motor mounting brackets on the side where the lever is. Look for a small diameter cable and then follow it to plastic connectors on either end. There may be a manual release to allow you to raise the motor but I'm not sure.

sandman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all. It was a cracked piece of plastic on the terminal end of the cable. I appreciate the great suggestions.