How to check if stator is faulty

Namcali

Seaman
Re: How to check if stator is faulty

I assume that you are talking about the generator. If you have it removed, it can be tested with a battery. I will post the instruction later on today when I get home.<br /><br />Nam

loweL1930

Cadet

I guess you can call it a generator as the stator produces power and that power is stored in the power pack. Technically it is called a stator. It's right under the flywheel. Thanks for any info you can supply.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Which section of the stator, ignition, or charging?

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice

First you need to check the resistance of each coil and you need to know what value is normal for your stator<br />Second check to see if the two coils are grounded . They should have infinate resistance to ground<br />third check to see if a voltage is being produced across each coil when you turn the motor over.<br />If a voltage is being produced then place one lead of the voltmeter on the coil and the other to a good ground. There should be NO voltage to ground.<br />You probably should invest about $35 and get a manual so you know what resistance and voltages are proper,

loweL1930

Cadet

With the intermittent problem that I'm having I would say ignition. I was reading info on the stator and it said to always make sure that you have tight battery connections or you could cause damage to the stator which is very costly.