well it was a real bad day!

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hadn't had my 1985 90hp procraft out yet this yr. because i was waiting to scratchup enuff money to replace the control box " there were worn parts especially in the warm up lever, but i finally got the $400 it was gonna cost and put it on . So i take it out and try her and out of the clear blue it was hard to start and ran a little crappy , well it was a small lake and I didn't use the big motor much i just thought it needed to be opened up a bit and blown out , so a couple of days ago i take her on a 3 day fishin trip, stick her in the water and fire it up i get her started but if i idn't idle her at about 3 grand she wouldn't stay runnin, after about a minute of this i kick her down and put it in gear , it sounded funny , like it was still chiked or something I decide to open her all the way up and when i do she just kinda wallows there the the runnin about 1400 well then she coughs a little and then slowly starts to pick up speed i get her up and runnin about 5 grand and run her that way about 5 minutes arund the lake bring her back down and she is still runnin rough, if I didn't choke it every time i started and use the warm up lever she wouldn't run, even if it had only been off 10 min or so. well yesterday i take it in to the guy that services it and he calls to tell me that a small piece of the ring must have come off on the top cylinder on the right # 3 I think I go look at it and there are all these gouges in the top of the head like somebody had used a hammer and punch on it , it was from the broken piece of ring i guess On that cylinder i had 75# of compession and on the other 3 about 100# Hell i just had him do a compression check last summer and they all ran from 130 to 115!!!!!!! can anybody tell me why the other 3 cylinders would have gone down so much! I am just heart sick I simply don't have the $1800 to $ 2200 he said it would take to rebuild the motor. I just had to vent anybody have an idea how a motor could go to ****! so fast?<br /><br /><br />1985 evinrude 90 hp<br /><br />thnx<br />mark

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: well it was a real bad day!

I really hate ta hear about your engine takin' a dump on ya right here at the start of the season. My guess is the rings coked up. They get a build-up behind them and it won't allow them to compress into the ring groves. This would account for the low compression and the busted ring. How long since a decarb?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

ob

Admiral

What Hooty said and likely coupled with some fouled carbs from setting out of use.

pmoet

Cadet

besides this unforunate event how has that 90 been for you? i just bought a re built one today?