'74 Johnson Javelin 85hp Stuck Lower Unit

TxCajun

Cadet
Short on time and experience, I put my boat in the shop for water-pump service, (3 yr since last done). They can't remove the lower unit after an hour of trying (stuck) :eek: . Back end moves down only slightly (enough to wedge in a screwdriver), front end does not open at all. They pounded (rubber mallet) and pried to no avail and said the last time this happened, they ended up cutting the driveshaft, etc... $1200 repair! So... it looks like I'll be giving it a try here shortly. I have a manual and it appears that they got all the bolts (2 on each side, one near the trim tab and one under the trim tab), disconnect shift lever, etc. I have read ALL posts dealing with this topic... hardwood wedges (no place to insert)... loosening bolts and shifting forward/reverse?... Large prybar (no good opening to insert)... Bigger hammer??? The motor is mounted on the boat so inverting to get penetrating oil in is a big deal. Anyone got any advice/ideas for this particular model? Thank You

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: '74 Johnson Javelin 85hp Stuck Lower Unit

Hi TxCajun and welcome aboard iboats.<br /><br />Yep...ya' got a problem. Probably the drive shaft splines and the crankshaft splines are corroded together. This can be a problem.<br /><br />One thing you may try, losen the bolts holding the lower unit up. Put the muffs on and start it up. Now shift from forward to reverse several times. May be enough to losen the splines.<br /><br />Keep us posted.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Unless you have twisted your drive shaft i doubt that is what's holding it, make sure they have taken all the bolts out, if i remember right there are 6 of them check that, if there is a bolt still in there and they keep prying on it they will break the housing.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I trust the guys in the shop know what they are doing, but just in case they don't. I've had the lower unit from my '76 Johnson 85hp on and off several times recently. There are six (really seven if you count the trim tab) total screws holding the lower unit on as follows:<br /><br />- the 4 obvious ones, with the hex heads clearly visible.<br /><br />- the one long one with the hex head sunk into the bore in front of the trim tab.<br /><br />- and finally the one small screw hidden under the trim tab, to access this bolt the trim tab must be unscrewed first.<br /><br />In addition you need to disconnect the shift linkage under the carbs.<br /><br />If they have done all this and it is still stuck, it's probably the driveshaft.<br /><br />I hope this helps.

TxCajun

Cadet

Thanks guys... This was my first post and I'm glad for the help. After reading all the related posts yesterday and my manual, I went by the shop today and told the guy about the various techiques I found. He did listen. Then we went out to my boat and he showed me how to pull the lower unit. He identified all bolts (4 obvious, one by the trim tab and one under the trim tab) and showed me how to disconnect the shift linkage. They have one hour invested so he said they'd give it about another 30 min shot and then if unsuccesful, I could come get it and try myself. Question: If I try loosening the bolts, starting up with muffs and shifting... forward - reverse, etc, how do you shift with the linkage disconnected? Also, isn't the default shift position forward? I'm not sure about this part. Thanks again!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

No default position Tx. All ya' want to do is losen the bolts just for a little slop. Sometimes this will jar the splines lose. Leave the shift rod connected of course... :)

mike69infl

Seaman Apprentice

sounds like we are having the same problem

TxCajun

Cadet

OBJ: So leaving he shift rod connected won't prevent the shaft from sliding down a little if the bolts a loosened up a bit huh? Just how much should the bolts be loosened; About a half inch? Any chance this method could booger-up the splines? <br /><br />Mike69: I will let the world know when and if this gets resolved and yes I will email you.<br /><br />Thanks!

TxCajun

Cadet

BTW, I noticed that "Schematic" has posted a picture of a puller (tool) in this thread: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=003319 <br />Why can't I see the picture? All I get is a box with a red "X" in it? I have checked "my preferences" and everywhere else but can't find how to enable image viewing, or whatever. I'd like to see that puller as the picture is being shown in reference to another stuck lower unit...

TxCajun

Cadet

I was wondering if the following might work: <br /><br />1) Leave motor on the boat and loosen all bolts attaching the lower unit. 2) Bolt a chain to the lower unit.<br />3) Attach a come-along to the chain.<br />4) Atach other end of the come-along to the ground.<br />5) Spray WD40, etc, up toward drive/crank shaft connection and crank on the comealong a little each day. <br /><br />Any Thoughts???

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

when you put it back together you are going to use anti sieze right? <br />If they cut it once already isn't there a hole in the exhaust tube you can squirt wd 40 into???<br />Oops they did it to someone elses you could try it yourself my manual tells how.

TxCajun

Cadet

You have a good manual! Mine only tells how to drop the lower unit and NEVER mentions the possibility of any problems doing so.<br /><br />I DON"T want to cut the shaft; a new one is $525 plus labor, etc... I don't think that's a good investment on a 30 yr old motor, even though it runs great.

bigdaddy590

Recruit

Hey TxCajun,

We're having the exact same problem except i cannot find anyone to tell me how to disconnect the shifter linkage. This would make you a life saver if you could help me. Thanks

jermelger

Cadet

I am having same trouble here, but I cannot disconnect my shift linkage as it is held on with rivet. It appears to be a large plunger type that is hooked to the linkage, about an inch and a half long and a half inch in diameter, then the 1/4 inch shift rod looks to be attached to that plunger somehow, not extremely visible. Please help. Not sure what year but is 85 hp.

M# 85ESL73M
S# J3861262