1972 throttle position

beertk

Cadet
Hello my boat has electric shift. When I push it all the way forward should the butterfly be all the way open. Also what does the little knob on the shifter that says throttle friction do.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 throttle position

When you have the throttle control as far forward as it will go, the throttle plates should be perfectly hoizontal. The friction knob keeps the throttle from creeping back while running. Clockwise tightens it to keep it where it's at. You should really get a Manual for your motor and the best is a factory one. In the future, try to give us as much info on the motor as possible. What Motor, Year, HP, Model Number, Ect...

beertk

Cadet

I asking because I feel my boat should have more mph. With the shifter all the way forward im still able too open the butterfly a little bit by hand. It looks as if im all out of ajustment at the motor. I was wondering if that knob had anything to do with opening it further

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey..<br /> sounds like you throttle cable is out of adjustment.. on my 72 125 i had to adjust my cable after i put a new one on it.. try adjusting it than get back to us.. ;)

beertk

Cadet

The thing is the ajustment knob at motor is bottomed out. Is there any way to ajust it at the shifter box. I have a manual which covers 100s of models confusing if you ask me

E120B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It all depends on what kind of cable you have.. like the one on my 125 u can undo a set screw and pull or push the cable. some cable are solid mounts and ur screwed.. if it solid u need a new cable.. get a evinrude cable not a teleflex or anyother after market cable