1988 johnson 175 cuts in and out

bruced106

Cadet
motor cranks fine and planes ok. after I trim outall at once it trottles down and loses rpm. I can put it in neutral and it idles ok but cant trottle back up.It will start cutting in like it has full power then cut out.sometimes real fast sometimes slower.it will do this for a few moments then it will cut in and start running fine and I will not have another problem for the rest of the day

tahammes

Seaman
Re: 1988 johnson 175 cuts in and out

Bruceboy,<br /> It sounds like your powerpack is starting to go bad.Does this engine have 1 or 2 powerpacks. Check your spark plugs. You will be able to tell which plugs are firing and which aren't. Also check your plug wires and coils. One of those could be bad. Start with the easy stuff first. If you have a service manual it will tell you step by step how to troubleshoot the problem. Let me know what you find out.

bruced106

Cadet

has two power packs. only problem is, when it loses power and rpms, it still runs smooth, just wont accelerate.

wgolz

Cadet

Bruce, I had an identical problem and went through the whole fuel system. ( see http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=022516 ). Finally, the problem went from intermitent to constant. Pulled the plug wires and No. 3 had no spark. Switched the coils and No. 3 still had no spark. This leaves the problem of whether it is a power pack or a charge coil or a sensor ( in the timing base). The special tool required to check this is costly, the homemade ones don't work, so we're all in same fix, as are several others. How to diagnose an ingition problem upstream of the ignition coils?

reland91011

Recruit

wow... sounds like the same problem I am having except when I hand pump the fuel the motor stays running... what's the cause??? I wish I could help others right now, but dont know enough about outboards to give good notes...