stuck lower in evinrude 4hp

yogajb

Recruit
I have a 1971 yachtwin awaiting a new water pump. The LU drops a quarter inch, but won't release the drive shaft. Tried a little rubber malleting with no luck. Any ideas? <br /><br />Also, will the water pipe just slip out of the grommet in the water pump housing?<br /><br />thanks!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: stuck lower in evinrude 4hp

Hi Yogajb,<br /> It is not uncommon for the driveshafts on those little 4s to become one with the crankshaft. Many do-it-yourselfers don't know that you're supposed to apply waterproof grease AND replace the o-ring at the top of the driveshaft after servicing the waterpump. The steel of the crankshaft will rust over time and the driveshaft will torque itself into the mushed splines. Sometimes the splines just rip out, other times they will rust together. Neither is an easy fix... Gentle pursuasion and lots of penetrating oil is your best option... Might also want to try popping the powerhead off to give yourself access to the top of the driveshaft...<br />- Scott

yogajb

Recruit

Thanks folks. I have the manual, but it doesn't mention this potential, though it is a no-brainer given the age of the engine. Time and persuasion sounds like the fix. <br /><br />-j

DREED

Recruit

I have a Johnson 3 (?) hp model jn20b serial b 1366<br />where is a good website to identify the year or maybe someone on the board will know so I can get some parts to get this old girl running again. Website for good cheap parts would be a bonus and greatly appreciated.

Paul Moir

Admiral

BEVO - double check that model number, that looks like it might be a JH-20B or a JW-20, which is a '65 3hp. A nice little engine if it is.<br />Iboats sells some common parts cheap. Look at the top of the page at Boat repair. They also have repair manuals there too - they are worth their weight in gold, even for the 3hp.<br /><br />Nice Johnny/Rude 3hp/4hp repair artical, click here.

BillP

Captain

Chinewalker,<br />I think you have this motor confused with something else...The top of the drive shaft slides into the bottom of the crank. The top of the crank holds the flywheel and the threaded end of the crank is visible when looking down at the flywheel.. He won't be able to get the powerhead off without pulling the driveshaft out of the lower unit (easily done). Either way, he can't see the top of the drive shaft while it is stuck.<br /><br />The 3 & 4 omc shaft assys are pretty much the same. I've owned three of them, including an early 70s 4 evinrude...which also got stuck and never freed.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Bill,<br /> I am very familiar with these motors and you CAN pull the powerhead off without pulling the driveshaft out of the crankshaft. It involves forcing the waterpump impeller pin past the housing, which isn't too hard to do. This gives you easy access to the driveshaft, still stuck in the base of the powerhead, WITHOUT marring up any bearing surfaces that would be accessible if you just popped the gearcase off. A waterpump housing is far easier and cheaper to acquire than a driveshaft or crankshaft...<br />- Scott

BillP

Captain

Scott, NO offense meant, intended or implied. I interpreted your post incorrectly and thought you were saying he could pull the powerhead off and see the TOP of the driveshaft. I've pull them apart that way too and if memory serves right I removed the wp pin before pulling the shaft though the housing.