Buying a Used Johnson

ichiban_fish

Recruit
Hi all,<br /><br />I appreciate any help you might be able to provide here.<br /><br />I'm considering buying a used boat that is a decade old, but has fewer than 100 hours on it. Unfortunately the Johnson 90 (oil injected 2 stroke) main motor has had the top end rebuilt. This has my eyebrows raised, so I was wondering if the owner's explanation sounds plausible to you who know these motors so well.<br /><br />He states that the boat sat unused in a wet environment for several years because he was in the military. Prior to his departing, the motor had 50-60 hours on it. When he finally returned, he cleaned the carbs and "took the boat for a spin". That short run caused enough damage that the top end needed rebuilding. Since then the boat has about 10 more hours on it, and runs great, he says.<br /><br />Does this explanation sound reasonable? Or am I justified in feeling a little leery about this?<br /><br />Obviously, I know little to nothing about these motors, so am hoping someone with a better grasp can reply.<br /><br />Thanks very much.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Buying a Used Johnson

sounds fine, you can blow up a 2 stroke motor the first day of it being brand new.... they get rebuilt all the time, you should be HAPPY its been rebuilt..... a 2stroke outboard is NOT, i repeat NOT the same beast under the hood of you grocery getter.... if they dont have oil or water for VERY little periods, minutes, they will detonate... as i said, be HAPPY its been rebuilt.....<br /><br /><br />check the compression of the motor and watch it run to comfirm it pumps water... the 2 main things<br /><br />let us know<br /><br />m ikey

D

DJ

Outboards typically get killed because of the lack of maintenance and use.<br /><br />I would check the boat out thoroughly for soft spots in the floor and transom.

ichiban_fish

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. It sounds as though a lack of use can definitely cause the problems described by the current owner. I assume then that having the top end gone through should have resolved any of those issues?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You may want to ask the owner if he has any objections to you running it by a Marine Mechanic to have him check the motor and hull out. This will cost a little bit, but provide alot of piece of mind. If he won't let you do this, don't buy it..

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There you go thats' the best bet for a novice, if he refuses mayby he is hiding something, but from what you have said about it he sounds pretty up front so I don't think he will object. By the way welcome to the forum.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

What does he mean by top end rebuild? <br /><br />Let the condition of the motor speak for itself as verified by a marine wrench. Sellers often will tell buyers "Oh it has set for a while and just needs a tune-up - - ." Then the buyer comes here with the long tale of woe.