Prop Question

mrfizban

Seaman
I just took my new boat out and hit some shallow water and broke a blade on my prop. It was a 15 x 17 Michigan Wheel and I'm just trying having a debate as to whether it will make a difference to save $20 and by a 15 x 17 Solas Amita to replace it with. A 15 x 17 Alum. prop is all the same right? Just wondering. And is it worth that $15 to get one of those prop wrenches to put them on and off? Or will a some normal socket or even some vice grips work as well? Just wondering. Thanks.<br /><br />Jeff

down_time_1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Prop Question

mrfizban'<br />I've found that all props are not the same. It sounds like you need to buy a new prop anyway,so do so and have your old one fixed as you know how it performed.I have a metal prop wrench and would not go back to using a socket and screwdriver unless i had to.Just tie it to your wrist if working in deep water as they do sink :confused: <br /> DWT 1

sangerwaker

Commander

That's one of the reasons I like the plastic prop wrenches...they float. They also have a handy little nipple on the end for bending the tabs up or down on a star washer from a Mercury outdrive or outboard. I wouldn't go back to a socket and screwdriver either unless I had to.<br /><br />Yes, all props are different. Different amounts of cup, and not every brand is necessarily the exact pitch it claims to be. They may claim it to be a 19, but when put on a pitch block, it's slightly more or less. They should be close, but different none the less.

mrfizban

Seaman

Thanks. Good advice. I think I'll go pay the $50 or so and have the old one fixed and keep it as a back-up. Then buy a new one for peace-of-mind. Still no advice on that Solas Amita brand? Nobody knows if they are some inferior WalMart quality type of item? Or will they be comparable to a Michigan Wheel or any other $100 alum. prop? Thanks again.<br /><br />Jeff