Required Boaters License / Education Card?

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What other states besides Oregon have a REQUIRED boater saftey / education card? <br /><br />In oregon we have to pay, take a test, pass before we can legally operate a powerboat. Right now its only if you're under 35 i think, but by 2008/2009, everyone will be required to get one. <br /><br />anyone else?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Required Boaters License / Education Card?

I hope your question is open the international audience (that would be me ;) ).<br /><br />We have mandatory licences for anything that is capable of exceeding 5 knots (including sailboats). Seperate licence for PWC. 12 year olds can get a licence but there must be a licenced adult supervising, they become fully licenced at 16 y/old.<br /><br />Its not hard to get, its mainly a common sense safety test. It costs about $75.00 per year but our ramps and jettys are very well maintained and there are heaps of facilities spread around our harbor city.<br /><br />Aldo

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, you can answer :) yeah, I mean everyone..<br /><br />I think oregons is a one time deal, and it was only 15 for the test and 10 for the card.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

In New York you need a safety couse in order to operate a PWC. Children need a safety course in order to operate a boat. The children's course is a one time class/fee. My 14 year old took it, the cost was $15.00.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Don't need one in VA. I took a boaters safety course for the knowledge and for the insurance discount. ;)

Bondo

Staff member

I Believe that Either Last year, or This year,....<br />New York Requires All boat operators to have completed a CG approved course............<br /><br />I took This One,........ A couple years ago to get a jump on the New Law..........<br />It's a pretty good course,.... I learned quite Allot from it.......<br />Log On, do the Study,+ then mail them $35.00(I Think)...... <br />Week to 10 days later you get a Carry-Card,+ a Wall Hanger Diploma in the mail......

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat and PWC license is required in CT.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

According to the NYS recreation website:<br />
Laws for Youthful Operation<br /><br />If you wish to operate a motorboat (including personal watercraft) and you are:<br /><br />Under 10 Years Old:You Must Have a Person 18 or Older On Board <br />10 to 18 Years of Age:You Must Have a Person 18 or Older On Board, or Hold a Safety Certificate <br />18 Years or Older:You May Operate a Motorboat Alone (except for personal watercraft, which requires a safety course) <br /><br />Laws for Personal Watercraft Operation<br /><br />As of 1/1/2004 anyone operating a PWC in New York State will need to complete a boating safety course.<br /><br />

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I wish everyone had to complete a safety course. Or at least learn the basic rules of navigation. You'll never "teach" people to be courteous but at least they should know which side to pass on.<br /><br />Those who don't know are probably the same folks who get in the left lane on the interstate and drive 10 mph slower than anyone else.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Basically, Wisconsin requires boaters between 12 and 16 to have a certificate (I'll be taking the course with my son next winter). 16+ and nothing is required. Below 12 and you can't operate. Haven't heard about any proposed changes.

delta247

Cadet

I live in Calif, there are no license required, that I know of. As much as I dislike my life being regulated in anyway, I have seen way to many boaters and pwc operaters that seem totaly lacking in boating safety,courtesy and common sense! Licenseing would get my vote!

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> I wish everyone had to complete a safety course. Or at least learn the basic rules of navigation. You'll never "teach" people to be courteous but at least they should know which side to pass on.<br /><br />Those who don't know are probably the same folks who get in the left lane on the interstate and drive 10 mph slower than anyone else.
PREACH ON MY BROTHER!<br /><br />Could not agree with you more. I took the class just because I had no clue what I was doing. It was a quick class and I learned a Ton. Should be mandatory.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Im! Interesting post to see who needs the operator license. Up here in Canada it started a couple of years ago that you required a license to operate a boat. As a matter of fact, you need one to operate a ski jet as well. They started with anything under 12' and that includes a ski jet, canoe and even a dingy from a main boat if you have one. Eventually, all boaters will need a license to operate a boat and each year the size of the boat lets you know if you need a license or by what year. I think it's over a 5 year period. Our only problem is that it's a money grab for the government because they have no one to inforce the policy. The police can't because you have to be operating the boat on water before they can check you and anyone can tow a boat with the boaters license. We have very few police on the water here and our coast guard is too small or too busy to check except on a very few occasions. I have had my license for 3 years now and have never been check and have been stopped in normal road checks by the RCMP, city police, wild life, conservation personal,etc so what good is it????????

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

I meant tow a boat without a boaters license.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boating safety courses are great. Common sense would have most people take at least one. If your interested in boating, it creates a desire to learn more about it just like any other hobby.<br />Mandatory licence is a money grab and mandating wearing PFD for adults stinks. Very often we read the news to learn that some driver with 35 licence suspensions killed someone. Why would it be any different on the water? Statistics show that boating is as safe as walking. Why do we need to keep mandating?<br />Let's keep whatever liberties we can.<br />(P.S. I'm over 65 what ever that may have to do with anything.)

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought it was a good thing too. I've heard a lot of people complain about it. Being my first boat, I was glad to read the study material. There where several things I simply did not know before.

Bondo

Staff member

There's a World of difference between the required completion of a Safety Course,..........<br />And,<br />A Boater's Licence............<br /><br />I'm All For the Required Safety Courses............<br /><br />I see Boater Licensing as Another form of Revenue Enhancement........<br /><br />IMHO, That's Worth Fighting Against till the Very Last Boat Ride............ :D <br /><br />There's No Doubt, That someday it Will come to pass............. Hopefully, it'll be a couple years After My last ride.......... ;)

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

from the oregon marine board<br /><br />"Oregon’s mandatory boater education law will eventually require all Oregon recreational powerboaters operating craft greater than 10 horsepower (hp) to complete an approved boater education course and apply for an Oregon Boater Education Card. This card is required for anyone operating the craft and must be carried onboard. It includes PWC with engines over 10 hp."<br /><br />The way I see it is that oregons is a license. You can't boat without it, you pay for it, it has your name, birthday, hair and eye color on it.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

None in Florida - I'm all for voluntary education but I want government out of my face.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

We have many boaters from other states. Also, there are are the competition fishermen. I wonder how the reciprocation between states will work. For instance, if my state doesn't require licensing, will he/she be allowed to boat in a state that does. Looks like if one state goes that way, they all will.