'67 33hp Johnson. "Almost" running. Fuel Pump?

cvader2000

Cadet
I took apart the starter and cleaned it up. Could still use a rebuild but it now works. The pistons are moving nicely now. The spark plugs are sparking (I tested them). Problem is, no fuel is getting to the cylinders.<br />I'm still waiting for the manual to arrive so I could use some help identifying some parts in the meantime.<br />Fuel pump: Is it the unit that's on the right side that the first fuel line goes to or is the small unit on the left side after the carb? If the one after the carb is not the fuel pump, what is it? It has a wire from it to what I think is the neutral safety switch. It also has 2 wires connected to the center of it but they are cut off.<br />Also the unit under the carb; Is that the choke? The rubber boot on it is dry-rot. Can I replace just the boot or should I replace the whole part?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Charles

alcan

Commander
Re: '67 33hp Johnson. "Almost" running. Fuel Pump?

The fuel pump is the one that the fuel line goes to. The other thinggy with the wires cut off is the vacuume over rev limiter. This is a necessary safety item. It keeps the motor from having an uncontrollable run away. It does this by ground out one set of points when crank case vacuume reaches a dangerous point. The third item on your list is the electric choke soleniod. It is basicly an electro magnet. When energized via a switch at the helm it will close the choke. The choke will open automaticly once you release the button. I don't know if the rubber covers are still available. I wouldn't be too concerned about replacing the cover, some motors never had them to start with. When describing boats and boat engines try to use terms such as port and starboard. I'm not an old navy guy or anything, it just clears things up alot.