Help identify a part please

38plymouth

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a pontoon boat that has a 1997 evinrude 50 horse 3 cylinder outboard. I noticed that on the starboard side of the engine just behind the carbs. there is some kind of little valve that has a few hoses running to it. There is a very small amount of fluid coming from one hose that smells like fuel. There is a valve that flips back and forth. The engine runs with the valve in either direction. What is this thing and which way should the valve point?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help identify a part please

That sounds like the primer solenoid. When you push the key in and crank the engine, it shoots fuel into the carb throat for cold starting. If one of the hoses is leaking, get it fixed or it could suck air. <br /><br />The red lever is the manual operator. If the solenoid fails, turn this lever couterclock wise till it stops...bout 1/2 turn...after starting the engine return the lever to normal position which is pointing toward the back of the solenoid or straight along the solenoid body. You can feel a slight "click" when the lever is returned "home".

38plymouth

Seaman Apprentice

I noticed when trying to start it that we couldn't here any clicking when pushing in the key. It did start hard the first time after sitting for awhile. Should we here any kind of noise when pushing in the key to start it? Actually how can I tell if the primer solenoid is working correctly?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You will have on primer hose going to each carb. Pull the primer hose off the top carb and put it in a jar. Have someone try and start the engine normally by turning the key to on, pushing in and turning to start. As the engine cranks, you should see gas spurt out the end of the primer hose. If you don't see any, turn the red lever to manual prime and try the cranking process again only this time don't push in on the key to choke. If you now see gas spurting out, either the solenoid has failed or it's not getting 12V's from the key switch. When you press in on the key, you should be able to hear a faint click in the solenoid. This means the solenoid has picked up.<br /><br />Keep us posted as to what you find.....thanks!

38plymouth

Seaman Apprentice

It seems to be starting fine and I can here the solenoid click. I guess I'm not sure where the red lever should actually be. It works fine now so I guess I will leave it right where it's at. Thanks for the help.