'94 Johnson 200 Venom

chuckybaby

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '94 200 Venom. In 98, a ring locating pin came loose, got thru a transfer port into the crankcase and destroyed the block. OMC provided a replacement block at a very reasonable price. I have learned that several (many) of these engines have done exactly the same thing.<br /> <br />My new block is running fine but I really don't truct the thing as far as I can throw it and I expect it to blow up any time I start it.<br /> <br />Can anybody comment on how common a failure this was, whether OMC did anything to correct it and if so, how can I tell if the mod is done on my block. Also, is there a way to tell if the ring locating pin is starting to work loose...maybe pull the heads and look at the barrel ?...compression test?...<br /> <br />Any comments or insight would be appreciated.<br /><br />C

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '94 Johnson 200 Venom

Chuckybaby<br />This has happened to several big block OMC's in our area. It seems that once repaired th problem seems to be fixed; however, I would caution one one really screwing these engines real tight i.e. higher RPM that recommneded. My experience says they can't take the extra G's. Use good oil and fuel and don't over romp her and I thing you will be ok!