Couple of questions

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
I've searched the FAQs and earlier posts and still have a couple of questions I need answers to, this is for my '58 Johnson 18 again.<br />I've removed the armature plate to replace the coils, and I think the HT leads need replacing too, I'd like to do it anyway if they need it or not just to be sure.<br />I can't seem to find a definitive recommendation for the type of lead to use, everyone seems to agree don't use carbon core, but some say use solid core and others say stranded core, which is it? And does it matter what the core material is, apart from carbon?<br />Also the little wick that cleans the cam has turned to a sort of gooey mush! It looks like it was a bit of foam at one time but not any more, what should I replace it with?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Couple of questions

It's stranded - I don't think you can get solid core 'cause it would break so easily. What I think they mean is not carbon core, which is very finely stranded like carbon fibre. The important thing is, it must have zero resistance. The carbon stuff (suppressor wire) is usually around 600 ohms per foot when new.<br />The core is made out of tinned copper wire, just like your original stuff, though I think you might be able to find stainless core wire.<br />You'll need to stick to 7mm OD wire, since that's the only one that will fit the ignition coil.<br />The OEM Tune up Kit (points, condensors) comes with a new wick. I don't think the aftermarket tuneup kit does - mabey someone can confirm.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

I can confirm that myself! I have a Sierra tune up kit and it doesn't have a wick, it does have two little red capsules of some sort of grease, any idea what that might be for?

Paul Moir

Admiral

That grease would be for putting on the cam, and the wick spreads it around. The wick is really just a thick peice of felt on a metal tab - it might be just as easy to fashion a new one as order one. Or you could try cleaning up the old one if it's not too mushy.<br /><br />Good luck!

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I was thinking just get a wad of felt, there's no chance of re-using the old one, I literally had to scrape it out of the holder as it had turned to a thick gooey liquid, like glue!