Coil question for a 1973 115 Evinrude?

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1973 115 evinrude that I keep having the ends of the sparkplugs coming out at the plug. These coile are not all that old and they work perfectly but the wire seems to be so frail at the plug boot that they will keep pulling out and I'll loose fire on that cylinder. I'll have to take the wire cutters and trim some of the wire and put the end back on and it will work fine. I was wondering if there wan anyway I could fix it to run regular car style plug wires on it instead. I knowthat coil is sealed where the wire runs into the coil but just wanted some opinions. My wires are starting to get too short from me having to trim them off like that. I hate to throw away a good working $35 coil just because of the spark plug wire.<br /><br />Any suggestions,<br />Thanks:<br />Jason

angus63

Captain
Re: Coil question for a 1973 115 Evinrude?

I had a similar issue and used large diameter shrink tubing from the boot to about 2" back. Acted like a strain relief and no more problems.<br />Good luck.<br />PS use low heat to shrink the tubing or you will damage the wire insulation and boot. I used adjustable heat gun (aka hair dryer) on low.