Black stuff coming out of my 200

I've got an 1987 Ocean Runner 200hp that someone put a 225 Powerhead on prior to my owning it. It's been running fine but I had a problem a few days ago. I was offshore and I set up a drift for about two hours. When I headed back to the inlet, the motor would idle but would die when I went to take off. After about the third start, I threw the throttle forward and it jumped up on plane. Wide open, the rpm's went back and forth from 3500 to 4500, as though I was pushing and pulling the throttle. I finally backed off to 3000 rpm's and it smoothed out some. I went back, flushed the motor, and now there's some black oil looking stuff coming out of the two ports at the back just below the cowling. There's enough of it that it's dripping down toward the prop. Don't know if these two problems are related, just thought I'd include the info in case it made a difference. Thanks for the help.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Black stuff coming out of my 200

What was the problem that set you adrift?<br />Mac

Guess I should have been more clear. I was drifting catching kingfish. It was when I cranked it up to head back out to deeper water that I had the problem.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds to me like the plugs are fouled or it's not getting enough spark. The black stuff is un-burnt fuel. How long has it been since you replaced the plugs? I'd start there because they are cheap. Also make sure you gap them properly.<br />--Hop

I replaced them about two weeks ago, along with the powerpack. I'll pull them and check them out and post what I find.

They're gapped between .40 and .41. The plugs may be a little fuel fouled but they look clean other than the oil on the threads. And it doesn't look like gas/oil mixture on the threads, it looks like oil.

Another thing I should mention is that the previous owner removed the entire oil injection system and said he'd been premixing without a problem so I took his word for it. I've been mixing a quart of oil to 12 gallons of gas and it's been a bit smokey, but not terrible.